The Biggest Loser Resort Program
Condition Management Program For Clinical Obesity
Who We Are.
We are an internationally recognized brand in weight loss that has helped tens of thousands of people achieve and
sustain better health. We are 100% aligned with all pre-surgical consult and content requirements for Blue Distinction
What We Do.
We are a one-week, immersion style, condition management program for clinical obesity.
How We Do It.
The categories of behavioral objectives associated with our program are:
1.) Nutritional guidance
Basic understanding of food chemistry and its effects
Understanding of health numbers and strategies to positively impact them
Long term planning for weight management
2.) Ability-appropriate physical activity
Understanding of abilities and limitations
Understanding and exposure to physical activity in a variety of modalities
Modification guidance for all activities
Understanding the physiological response to physical activity
Long Term planning for maintaining an active lifestyle
3.) Psycho social/lifestyle coaching
Mechanisms for creating, accessing, and utilizing support and accountability
Use of mindfulness and meditation techniques
Positive body image coaching
Stress Management Program
This retreat offers participants an opportunity to address mental, emotional, and physical health and wellness. Participants will learn the tools and importance of taking care of themselves before they are able to take care of others.
Working with certified wellness coaches, personal trainers, and registered dietitians, participants will experience state of the art fitness and wellness facilities, comfortable guest rooms and world class healthy cuisine all within the beauty and privacy of 300 wooded acres.
• Facilitated workshops with wellness and nutrition professionals that focus on healing, stress management, pain
management, and self-care.
• Facilitated workouts with qualified fitness professionals that promote physical healing through movement.
• Guided workshops to help participants experience pain management techniques relating to physical, mental, and
• Access to on-site recreation facilities including hiking trails, reflexology paths, outdoor and indoor pools and spas,
saunas, and waterfront activities.• Healthy meals and snacks designed and prepared by a team of nutritionists and chefs.
• On-going and continuous access to wellness coaches, personal trainers, and registered dietitians for all program
participants, even after program completion.
• Facilitated team building activities that help build camaraderie, trust, and engage a sense of play.
Overview: Participants work with wellness coaches and nutritionists to uncover underlying stress triggers and
understand how to identify and manage stress on a daily basis.
• Understanding Stress Workshops: designed to help participants understand how stress affects the body, how to
identify physical and emotional symptoms of stress. This workshop will also prompt participants to identify their own
personal signs of stress so they can become more self-aware of their needs.
• Reflexology: participants experience reflexology and gain a general understanding of this ancient healing practice
along with the use of essential oils. An overview of the practice is given, and guests practice techniques on their feet,
hands, and face. Participants have opportunities to use the outdoor reflexology path, incorporating the benefits of
nature into the healing practice.
• Aromatherapy Workshops: focusing on helping the body detox and heal, nutrition workshops provided by registered
dietitians help individuals create nutrition plans to help them heal, limit weight gain associated with quitting smoking,
and address mood swings in a healthy way.
• Mindfulness Workshops: focusing on stress management, certified wellness coaches work with participants to help
them identify ways to become more mindful with simple activities they can do daily to cultivate mindfulness in a healthy
• River of Life Workshop: individuals use art therapy in a supported environment to explore their past and gain insight
into how past experience has shaped their current mood and mindset. Working with wellness coaches, participants
draw their life as a river, incorporating happy, sad, traumatic, and joyful times. This exercise also helps participants
move past trauma and visualize their future in a healthier mindset.
• Daily Relaxation and Breathing Workshops: designed to provide rapid relaxation and help participants overcome stress.
Relaxation activities also help participants sleep and give individuals the tools to help them relax and rest at home.
• Sleep Preparation Workshops: participants will utilize specific techniques to induce and improve sleep. Activities
include stress management and relaxation exercises, physical stretching and muscle manipulation, and specific
nutrition and supplement recommendations to promote healthy, quality sleep. These techniques are especially
beneficial to shift workers and individuals with inconsistent schedules.
• Members will successfully identify personal stress triggers and understand their personal physical and emotional
symptoms of stress.
• Members will experience stress management techniques and will explore examples of stress management techniques
they can use in their everyday lives.
• Members will set goals to address personal causes of stress and overcome barriers to achieving daily stress
• Members will successfully identify ways they can improve sleep and practice good sleep hygiene.
Overview: Participants work with certified personal trainers to understand how exercise can impact stress, how to create and adapt fitness programs to meet their needs, and how to manage pain through physical activity.
• InBody Body Composition Assessments: participants have the opportunity to analyze their body composition on an
InBody 520 bioelectrical impedance machine. The results of each assessment give participants an idea of their current
muscle, fat, and fluid stores, and provide a better understanding of their metabolism and calorie needs. Results are
explained by certified personal trainers and registered dietitians.
• Physical Fitness: to maximize the healing power of movement, participants work with trainers to understand how to
use fitness equipment safely, how to plan physical activity into their day, and how to make workouts more efficient.
Participants engage in outdoor fitness activities such as hiking to take advantage of the benefits of nature.
• Yoga: Gentle yoga classes are offered to help build strength and flexibility. Adaptations are provided by qualified
instructors to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants, regardless of ability or mobility. Yoga and
physical movement is also incorporated into wellness and sleep preparation activities.
• Myofacial Release Workshop: designed to help beginners and seasoned athletes alike, this workshop gives an
introduction to foam rolling and other simple muscle release practices that help manage pain. Participants receive
instructions on how to safely use foam rollers and yoga tune up balls, and are given an opportunity to experience foam
rolling and myofacial release.
• Members will participate in physical fitness activities and demonstrate the ability to safely use fitness equipment and
• Members will experience a variety of fitness activities to help individuals identify enjoyable activities they can
incorporate into their daily lives.
• Members will experience exercise to help alleviate stress and physical pain and demonstrate ways to incorporate these activities into their everyday lives.
Overview: Participants work with registered dietitians to learn how nutrition can impact mood, stress, hormone levels,
• Juicing Demonstration: designed to help participants understand the basics of juicing and how to incorporate fresh
juices into a healthy diet. This demonstration shows the step by step process of making healthy juices, from selecting
ingredients to preparation and consumption. Participants will also be able to sample juices.
• Herbal Tea Workshops: a variety of medicinal herbs and teas are introduced to participants along with the ability to
taste the herbs. This workshop offers guests an opportunity to learn simple herbs to improve digestion, promote sleep,
reduce inflammation, and gently detoxify the body.
• Nutrition Workshops: focused on building nutrition fundamentals, participants work with registered dietitians and
discuss the basics of macronutrients and how they are used in the body, how to properly balance meals to maintain
healthy blood sugar and weight, and how to reduce inflammation through nutrition. Workshops will address all aspects
of nutrition and how to apply healthy eating to shift work and inconsistent schedules.
• Hands-On Cooking Demonstration: participants work alongside chefs and dietitians to learn simple, healthy cooking
techniques to use in their everyday lives. Special attention is given to simple meals that can be made quickly and on a
• Members will participate in nutrition education and identify foods that can reduce inflammation and balance hormones.
• Members will experience cooking with chefs and understand how to incorporate simple cooking techniques into their
• Members will learn the benefits of eating whole foods and understand what foods can trigger inflammation, stress, and imbalances.
Therapeutic Recreation And Recreational Therapy
Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy is a treatment service designed to restore, remediate and rehabilitate a
person’s level of functioning and independence in life activities, introduce stress management and resiliency tools to
promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restrictions to participation in life
situations caused by an illness or disabling condition.
Leisure/Recreation Activities provide:
• Leisure education/leisure awareness
• Opportunities to experience mental clarity:
Improve decision making skills
Goal planning and plan execution
Improve strategic thinking
• Long term planning for maintaining an active lifestyle
• Development of stress management skills
• Opportunities for collaboration and creation of goals
• Social connectedness and building a sense of community
• Opportunities to create, access, and utilize peer support
• Opportunities to develop and enhance the social skills required for integration into the community setting
• Fun and relaxation (away from the demands of school/work/daily tasks)
• Build social confidence
• Development of stress management skills
• Enhance/improve cardiovascular endurance
• Improve flexibility
• Improve everyone’s overall health and wellness
• Improve muscle tone and strength
• Increased energy
• Exposure to a variety of modalities
Understanding one’s ability
• Development of stress management skills
• Opportunities to define positive coping skills specific to individual or group’s needs
• Develop and identify resiliency strengths
• Gain the confidence to go beyond self-imposed limits Enhance understanding of one’s ability
Opportunities to seek out new challenges
• Opportunities to improve self-esteem Build resilience
• Gain an understanding and experience the benefits of relaxation and mindfulness
• Improve self-awareness
• Build a sense of optimism
• Development of stress management skills
• Identify values and purpose
Debrief format for recreation and leisure activities:
• “What” – objective
What happened? What did you do? What did you expect and what was different?
• “So what” – interpretive
Why does that matter – to you or to your partner/group/unit?
• “Now what” – decisional
What have you learned? What will you do different? What support do you need? What goals have you set for your
self related to the activity?
How do you plan to utilize the materials/resources/tools?
Beaver Hollow provides an abundant variety of recreational and fitness activities amidst breathtaking scenery. Our
private lake is a highlight for many guests who enjoy bass fishing, boating, or swimming near a sandy beach.
• Gym facilities with top-of-the-line equipment and spacious aerobics rooms
• Indoor Aquatic Center featuring a salt water pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and locker rooms
• Outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi
• Bass fishing on our private lake
• Hands-on cooking in our lakeside teaching kitchen
• Computer kiosks with complimentary WiFi
• Basketball courts
• Pickleball courts
• Horse shoe courts
• Indoor and outdoor shuffleboard
• Croquet court
• Bocce ball courts
• Pool tables
• Snow shoeing
• Cross country skiing
• Nature trails – mindful hikes with our certified recreational therapist
• Evening bonfires
• Main Lodge with fireplace and large screen television
• Piano in Main Lodge
• Assorted board games in Main Lodge library
• Amphitheater suitable for movie night
• Jogging trails
Connecting With Nature
Spending time outdoors can be used as a natural reset button allowing your body to realign, restore, and rejuvenate through connecting with nature and ourselves. Taking a long hike, fishing, wandering through a garden, walking along a stream are just a few examples of how we can take advantage of the restorative power of nature.
Practicing mindfulness and allowing time to slow down in the natural environment allows us to and become fully
immersed with all of our senses. By tuning into to the smells, textures, tastes and sights of the outdoors we are allowing our bodies to relax and recover. Research has shown that this connection with nature can offer the following benefits:
• Improve focus • Improve creativity
• Improve self-reflective thought process
• Connection to greater purpose
• Decrease levels of stress and anxiety
• Feeling more calm and balanced
• Increase energy
Other activities that can assist with reconnecting with nature and the outdoors may include:
Grounding or Earthing
Walking barefoot on grass, sand, dirt or rock, gardening with bare hands or swimming in a lake or the ocean. Research
has shown that connecting to the Earth’s natural energy can offer the following health benefits:
• Reduce fatigue
• Reduce chronic pain
• Improve sleep and promote deeper sleep
• Relieve muscle tension
Taking a short, leisurely visit into a forest and practicing mindfulness to reconnect with nature. A practice that originated in Japan where it is called shinrin-yoku — which translates roughly as forest bathing. Research has shown that forest bathing or forest therapy can offer the following health benefits:
• Decreased blood pressure
• Improved heart and lung health
• Improved immune function
• Decrease inflammation
• Decrease stress
• Decrease anxiety
• Improved emotional response
• Increase energy
An outdoor one mile, guided walking meditation that includes an introduction to and the experience of:
• Maze walking
• Forest Bathing
This very unique and special experience can be duplicated in most outdoor settings and is a great way to help our
participants build a practice of meditation